The Virtual Learning Academy will provide:
• Daily synchronous instruction for students in transitional kindergarten through eighth grade.
All mandated state assessments and school-assigned assessments are a required part of the program. Social and academic support is available
Parents choosing the Virtual Learning Academy have the right to request a pupil-parent-educator conference meeting before enrollment to review the enrollment process, academic program delivery, specific academic expectations, student support, as well as the withdrawal process.
Please understand that failure to meet the requirements of the Virtual Learning Academy will result in the student’s reassignment to in-person instruction in the Whittier City School District. If a seat is not available at the student’s home school, the student will be transferred to another school within the district.
- Students will not be included as part of a class at their school.
- The Virtual Learning Academy will include 45 minutes of daily live instruction on Zoom.
- Daily work must equal a full instructional day.
- Parents or caretakers have a significant role in daily instruction.
- All work must be turned in within 7 days to earn credit.
- If a student is not thriving in the Virtual Learning Academy, staff will proceed with reengagement strategies, including offering in-person instruction.
- Families may return to in-person instruction, however, school availability cannot be guaranteed.
- Meals are provided free of charge via a weekly grab n go.
A student with disabilities, as defined in Education Code 56026, shall not participate in independent study unless the student’s individualized education program specifically provides for such participation.