Whittier City School District Students First. Every Decision-Every Day.

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
Please Create A Marquee
Student Services » Permits



*To apply for an INTER-DISTRICT Permit (release)

-Complete the Inter-District Permit form and email it to [email protected]

-Please review the Transfer Agreement Form, which outlines the reasons why your permit may be approved.

-You will be contacted once your permit is processed.


*To apply for an INTRA-DISTRICT Permit (within the District)

-Complete the Intra District Permit form and email it to your school of residence.

-You will be contacted after May 1st, 2022.


*To apply for an INTER-DISTRICT Permit (to come into our District)

-Apply at your District of residence.


1. What is an Inter-District Permit, and why do I need one?

California law requires school districts to provide an education to any student who resides within the district’s attendance area. Although students have the right under California law to a free, public education, the law does not guarantee that a student can attend the school of his or her choice, or even the neighborhood school.

California’s educational system relies on local control for the management of school districts on the theory that those closest to the problems and needs of each individual district are the best able to make appropriate decisions on behalf of the district. In allocating their resources among the schools of the district, school district governing boards and district administrators must follow the law, but they also have the additional task of setting the educational priorities for their schools and weighing the importance and urgency of all of their education needs.


An inter-district transfer/reciprocal agreement is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance area outside of their district.

California Education Code sections 46600–46610
permits parents/guardians to request an interdistrict transfer agreement. The fundamental basis for this provision is the signing of an agreement between districts. Inter-district transfer agreement must be approved by both the student’s original district of residence and the district to which the student seeks to transfer to. Both districts must approve the agreement before it becomes valid. The agreement may extend for a maximum of five consecutive years and may include terms or conditions. It is within the authority of either the home district or the receiving district to revoke an interdistrict transfer agreement at any time for any reason the local board or district superintendent deems appropriate.

If a request for an Inter-District transfer permit agreement is denied, the student’s parents/guardians may file an appeal within 30 days of receipt of the official notice of denial of the transfer.
2. Why are Intra-District permits required?

Intra-District permits are required for students who do not attend their school of residence. Reasons for a permit are listed at the bottom of the permit form. Please be aware granted permits are subject to cancellation at any time during the school year if enrollment exceeds maximum class size.


3. How long does it take to process an Intra-District permit?

Processing permits may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to 30 days or longer, depending on the time of year. Usually, renewals and new requests take longer to process during March and April, July and August. It could take up to 2 months from date submitted.



4. Is there a deadline to submit a new permit request for the coming school year?

No. However, we start accepting permits for the following school year in mid-January, usually after winter, not before. Permit requests for TK or a significantly impacted school will be placed on a waitlist. Parents will be notified, if and when, space becomes available to enroll at requested school.



5. What documents are required for processing a permit?

Based on the reason for the permit, there are instances whereas additional documentation is required to support the reason for requesting a permit. Student Support Services will inform parents what additional documents are needed. It is the parents’ responsibility to submit required documentation in order to process their permit in a timely fashion.



6. Are permits valid all year?

An approved permit is valid during the current school year as long as the conditions remain the same. If a student who was granted a permit moves into a different residence area, their current permit becomes invalid. Parents would need to apply for a new permit.

Students must obtain an interdistrict permit to attend a school outside their District of Residence.

Procedures to apply for an Inter-District permit:  (To exit our district) 

  1.  Please apply for a transfer at our District Office (Fill out the Inter-District Permit Form).
  2.  If the reason for transferring is employment, proof of employment is required.
  3.  If the reason for transferring is child care, you also need to fill out a Child Care Verification Form (Childcare provider signature required) available at the district office.
  4. Processing may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to 30 days or longer, depending on the time of year.  Usually, renewals and new requests take longer to process during March and April, July and August.  It could take up to 2 months from the date submitted.
  5.  We will contact you when the permit is processed, usually by phone call or mail.

Procedures to Apply for an Inter-District Permit:  (To enter our district)

  1. Apply at your District of Residence (Fill out the Inter-District Permit Form) to get a release.
  2. If your district of residence grants you a release and approves your permit, you can submit it at the school you are requesting.
  3.  We will contact you after we process your permit and notify you if it was approved.

Procedures to apply for an Intra-District Permit:  (To transfer within our district)


  1.  Apply at your School of Residence (Fill out the Intra-District Permit Form).
  2.  Submit your Intra-District Permit at your school of residence.
  3.  Depending on the time of year, the process may take from a couple of weeks to 30 days or longer.  Usually, renewals and new requests take longer to process during March and April, July and August.  It could take up to 2 months from the date submitted.  We will contact you after your permit has been processed to let you know if it was approved.

All Intra-District Permits are subject to review at any time.

Transportation is NOT provided for students on Intra-District Permits.

Student may be subject to displacement due to excessive enrollment or providing inaccurate information.


  1. If a special study by guidance personnel indicates, the child would benefit by going to school in a different environment.

  2. If the child is left improperly supervised for a period of the day.

  3. If excessive tardiness or absence occurs (i.e., SART contract is not fulfilled)

  4. If continuance would lead to an enrollment overload as defined by District Policy or California Law.

  5. If child is brought to school excessively early or left excessively late.

  6. If student has unacceptable behavior, failure to follow school rules, or violates of Ed. Code.

  7. Unwillingness on part of student or parent to cooperate with school officials. (i.e., violates Civility Code)

  8. Student behavior causes the welfare of student or other students to be compromised or endangered.


Please contact our office if you have any questions (562) 789-3017